At some point, anyone who drives a great deal for a living or recreation is going to run into mechanical problems, and if it’s late at night, you might not be able to get assistance until morning. When your vehicle breaks down on the side of a road or at a rest stop in Flagstaff, AZ, it’s important that you stay safe until help can arrive.
Find a safe location
In most states, extended rest stop parking is prohibited. Luckily, Arizona has no such provision, so if you break down near a rest stop, you may want to park there. They’re not ideal—rest stops are often poorly lit and don’t have any security personnel—but they may be safer than simply pulling over on the side of the road.
Remember to check the rest stop extended parking rules for any state you’re traveling in, and when choosing a rest stop, try to pick a populated one with pull-through parking. There’s safety in numbers, and the opportunity for quick escape, assuming your vehicle is still functioning.
Consider defensive devices
Drivers often have personal protection devices ranging from mace to baseball bats to guns. If you choose to carry a firearm, always be sure to research the state’s carry and open carry laws. If you need a permit, have that with you.
Most importantly, whichever defensive device you use, know how to use it. Weapons in the hands of scared or inexperienced people can be a prime opportunity for an encounter to turn deadly.
Here are some other helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Call for roadside assistance as soon as possible: As soon as you pull into a rest stop, call for help after you park and lock your doors and trailer.
- Avoid scammers: If someone tries to lure you away from your truck, don’t go. Scammers will often approach drivers and ask for help with an altercation outside of your truck or visibility area.
- Pretend there’s someone with you: Female drivers, especially, can be apprehensive about parking alone. Implying that there’s a second person in your berth can be enough to deter would-be criminals.
- Keep your phone charged and with you at all times: Having the ability to call for help at any time is crucial to staying safe.
- Travel with a pet: Your pet might deter attackers, or alert you to danger before you sense it.
Commercial truck and auto repair in Flagstaff, AZ
Maclin Truck & Trailer is pleased to be your go-to service provider for truck and trailer problems out on the road. Our specialty is roadside repair and maintenance for commercial tractor trailers, large commercial trucks and RVs, so you’ll never be broken down on the side of the road for long. If your vehicle needs more comprehensive maintenance, we’re glad to be of assistance; you can get a tow to our shop for reliable service at a great price. Call or email us today to find out more about how we can help you!
Categorised in: Roadside Assistance
This post was written by Writer