Just like with a car or SUV, a big rig needs to be maintained to ensure it lives up to its full potential. The frequency at which maintenance should occur will vary based on a few different factors, including weather conditions and truck application, but in general, it’s recommended that any long-haul truck be professionally serviced every 30,000 miles or so. That doesn’t include things that each individual trucker should do before he hits the road, though. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about a proper daily big rig maintenance schedule in Flagstaff, AZ:
- Oil: Motor oil and the associated filters need to be changed much more frequently for big rigs than they do regular cars, and that makes sense if you think about it—big rig engines are put through the wringer every day, which means they necessitate more oil to stay well lubricated. Neglecting to change the oil (or at least check to ensure there’s enough of it) leads to costly and time-consuming breakdowns.
- Brakes: Properly-functioning brakes are critical for the safety of every driver on the road. Before each trip, truckers should inspect their brakes to ensure they’re in working order. If you happen to notice odd sounds or vibrations, be sure to bring your rig to a mechanic for an inspection and replacement.
- Tires: Big rigs are no strangers to tire blowouts on the road. Though blowouts can seem to happen out of the blue, it’s vital that truckers check their tires before heading out to ensure they’re not overly worn down.
- Gears and moving parts: Big rigs have dozens of moving parts that need regular greasing to ensure they keep working properly. Though anyone with a little know-how could grease parts themselves, it’s recommended that a professional handle this task as part of a standard big rig maintenance schedule in Flagstaff, AZ.
Why is maintenance so important?
We wouldn’t put together a whole post about big rig maintenance frequency in Flagstaff, AZ if it wasn’t so critical! These are a couple of the reasons why you need to keep your truck maintained at all times:
- Prevent accidents: You can’t control what other drivers do out on the road, but you can check your brakes and tires to ensure your truck is as safe as can be. A little maintenance goes a long way in reducing the chance of accidents occurring during your route.
- Decrease likelihood a breakdown: The last thing any trucker wants is to be stuck waiting in a repair shop for a mechanic to fix their big rig. Though a breakdown can occur at any time, it’s much less likely if your truck is well maintained.
- Improve gas mileage: Saving as much money at the pump is important for any driver, especially truckers who need to fill up a whole big rig! Proper maintenance improves fuel efficiency, which helps truckers save big bucks in the long run.
For all of the maintenance you can’t perform on your own, be sure to choose Maclin Truck & Trailer! Call us today to learn more about big rig maintenance frequency in Flagstaff, AZ or to schedule a service appointment.