Air conditioning in your vehicle is an absolute necessity here in the southwestern United States, especially during the summer months. It’s important to stay on top of preventative maintenance with this part of your vehicle—the last thing you want to have happen is for your AC go out on you in the middle of July.
With this in mind, it’s important to have an understanding as a vehicle owner of how to make your car’s AC run for a while in Flagstaff, AZ, extending its usable life as long as possible. Here’s a quick overview of some simple steps you can take with your preventative maintenance:
- Clean your system: A system that is clear of debris will run much more efficiently than a system that is packed with dirt and grime. You should check your radiator and condenser to make sure they’re clear of debris so you don’t have to deal with restricted airflow coming into your vehicle cabin, and potential overworking of the system to compensate for the debris.
- Flush your radiator: Ideally you should have your radiator flushed every couple years. A maintenance professional can handle this task for you. This also makes for a good time to check your coolant levels, which you should do periodically. Maintaining the cooling system and a proper level of coolant will help your system run at the correct operating temperature and keep your engine from overheating. If your engine runs too hot, the performance of the air conditioning system in your vehicle will certainly suffer.
- Check fan belts: Auto technicians should carefully inspect your drive belt to ensure it’s working properly and that it’s in good condition. The belt is important for keeping your air conditioner in good working order and is tasked with powering other important parts of the vehicle, like the alternator, water pump and steering pump.
- Regularly use your air conditioning: You can keep your vehicle’s air conditioning system in good condition by actually using it regularly. Even if you prefer having the windows down over blasting your AC, you should make it a point to turn it on every now and then, as this will help prevent a buildup of mildew and will keep all the components of the system in good condition. As the refrigerant circulates, it pushes the lubricating oil through the system to keep the most important parts properly lubricated, thus preventing seals from drying out.
- Turn off the AC before turning off your engine: Getting into this habit helps you extend the battery life of your vehicle, as your car won’t have as many tasks to perform the next time you start it up.
These are just a few examples of some of the strategies you can employ to extend the lifespan of your air conditioning system. For more tips on making your car’s air conditioning system run for as long as possible, contact an experienced mechanic in Flagstaff, AZ at Maclin Truck & Trailer. We’d be glad to answer any questions you have!
Categorised in: Semi Truck Repair
This post was written by Writer